Petzl Avao Harness comparison
During 2018, Petzl changed their AVAO (European) range of harnesses. They stripping out much of the comfort padding and made some other fundamental changes; which we think are well worth highlighting.
When paired with a TOP CROLL, the old AVAO SIT and AVAO SIT FAST were used by some for rope access; as the design was similar to the old NAVAHO’s Y shaped single attachment of the rear of the top section to the waistbelt (as opposed to the X-shape on the old AVAO). However, the new AVAO SIT and AVAO SIT FAST are a different design to the old versions and as they have less comfort padding, they are not primarily designed with rope access in mind. Most importantly, having limited / no padding, a deep waistbelt and less hardwearing material on the rear section of the leg loops.
Differences between the old and new Petzl AVAO harness
All Petzl AVAO harnesses (AVAO BOD / AVAO BOD FAST and AVAO SIT / AVAO SIT FAST):
- The waist-belt has increased in height and depth
- There is considerably less comfort padding in the waistbelt and leg loops. It’s now just a see-through mesh
These changes mean that the new Petzl Avao harnesses are less comfortable while working in suspension.
- All metal attachment points are now H cross-section construction, ensuring an improved strength to weight ratio
- The front leg-loop webbing (from the ventral attachment point) is narrower
- The mesh on the outer section of the leg-loops is more susceptible to damage by abrasion
- Each shoulder strap on the AVAO BOD and BOD AVAO FAST includes MGO connector holders, which will release the parked connectors at a force of 5kg
- The karabiner above the ventral attachment point is now an H cross-section Petzl OK screw-lock with CAPTIV bar
- The old X-shaped dorsal construction is no more. It is now a single webbing attachment to the rear of the waist-belt
- The buckles on the FAST versions include Petzl’s new FAST LT buckles
In view of the above, we would advise customers to use a Petzl ASTRO, not the new versions of the AVAO for rope access.
The European AVAO BOD CROLL has been discontinued. The International version is still available with a CROLL and the new ASTRO BOD includes a large CROLL
For further information on Petzl harnesses, please visit Petzl.com